Sunday, November 30, 2008

Cookie Box Tutorial

Good morning! If you didn't know already and I bet most of you do... lots of sales still good thought the rest of the weekend. Limelight Papercrafts has some really awesome door busters through today as well as our Limelight Sketch and Product Challenge is still going on. You have until midnight tonight to get it posted. Click -->HERE<-- for the details. Also, Clear Dollar Stamps via Lori's blog is offering HUGE and I mean HUGE blog candy. Click -->HERE<-- to go there. Plus, all clear stamps at Clear Dollar Stamps are 20% off right now. Just use this code: thankful4u - Don't walk, just run!!!!

But today I'm going to share how I made my cookie box from yesterday. For the tutorial though I used completely different paper and created my box for a completely different purpose, except for the 1st materials picture. All that stuff I pictured when I made the first box (sorry for any confusion)

Materials Needed
  • Cardstock and Designer Paper of Choice
  • Mulberry Paper
  • Scor-pal or scoring tool of choice
  • Punches of your choice
  • Cellophane bags for cookies
  • Ribbon
  • Ink
  • Stamps
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine - you could use a really thin quick drying glue (maybe, could be)
  • Cookies - store bought or home made - yummm....
Cut your cardstock to 10 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Score all sides at 2 1/4"

Here I just wanted to show you a close-up of how I measure in to score at the 2 1/4" without making a mark. On both the right and left side, the scor-pal is marked at 1/8" increments until it reaches the 1/2" mark. So I want to score in at 2 1/4" I move my cardstock inward 1/4" and then score at the 9 1/2" mark.


Next, I cut on 2 opposite sides into the square base (on the right and left side)

Now that I have the box essentially done, I grabbed my mulberry paper and start cutting it into strips. I cut approximately 1", but this is a total variable. Cut longer for a longer chenille look or shorter for shorter. I first saw this technique on Lori McCroskey's blog Clearly iStamp.

I cut enough strips to have 4 for each of the 4 sides. I used the length of my sides as guides for my length.

Next, I lay my mulberry onto the edges of my side and sewed them down. I did 2 layers on the inside and 2 layers on the outside. I also sewed them at different heights. You'll be able to see it in the next picture.

Remember, you don't have to sew the mulberry paper onto your flaps, just the 4 main sides of your box. And don't worry about being neat and tidy. Once things are all shredded, all that stuff will be hidden for the most part.

Now for the fun part. All you need is a sharp pair of little scissors and cut away. The cuts don't have to be even and you can always add more - its all about preference!

Now you'll want to use double sided tape and fold up that box!

And more fun... after everything is snipped and the box is put together, its time to fluff :)

As with my other box, I lined this box too and kept the outside plain. This cute butterfly paper is Me and My Big Ideas (MAMBI).


The handle is 12" long and about 2" wide - again all about personal preference.

This particular box just reminded me of a "princess" theme with the paper chenille so I added the scallop and used my Just Rite Stampers to create the princess words. This was the first time that I used my small letters and let me tell you that they are small. It took a bit to get used to it, but once I got rolling it was just fine. The butterflies are straight from the paper. Just cut and embellish, in this case with stickles. The flower is from a CTMH set called Simple Blossoms and the word Princess on the card was stamped with another CTMH set that was a special purchase with purchase a couple of months ago.

Here's a close up of the butterfly on the card. Background stamp is a CTMH set called Adorable Backgrounds, and the scallop punch is Martha Stewart.

Thanks for visiting and I hope you have fun making your own version of this box.



{Recipe}

Cardstock: Textured Bubblegum (CTMH), Mulberry Paper
DP: Me and My Big Ideas
Ink: Bubblegum, Orchid (CTMH)
Stamps: Adorable Backgrounds, Simple Blossoms, JustRite 1 5/8 Monogramer and small alphabet set
Other: Scor-pal, Stickles, Sewing machine, Round and Scalloped Nestablities, Martha Stewart Doily Punch, Ribbon

8 comments:

Rachel said...

This is adorable!! Thank you for sharing the tutorial, I must try one!!

Linsey R said...

Katie, this is absolutely beautiful! Wow! Any girl, child or adult, would love this gorgeous box and card! What an awesome tutorial too! TFS!!!

Mandy said...

LOVE this! Thanks for the tutorial! The fringe totally rocks. You always WOW me with your 3D projects! :)

Joan Ervin said...

OMG, Katie...this is such a fabulous project!!! Thanks sooo much for the wonderful tutorial!!! I will be making one of these, for sure!!!

Anonymous said...

How clever to do the paper chenille on the sides of the box to create fringe. I love it.

Candy

Becky Sorensen said...

This is really cute in real life also. Katie, you are so talented.
hugs,

Allison Rankin said...

Terrific creations...super cute!

Charlene Austin said...

GET OUT!! This is mind boggling gorgeous. What a great tutorial. You rock Katie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...